“Strawberry legs” are those pesky little black or red spots (resembling strawberry seeds).
It’s a pretty common condition that affects millions of people around the world. It’s totally harmless but can be frustrating to deal with and is often associated with shaving.
Let’s take a look at what causes it, symptoms, and most importantly, how to minimize it.
So what causes it?
‘Strawberry legs’ are enlarged, clogged pores which are caused by a buildup of:
- Dead skin cells
- Oil (sebum)
What are the symptoms:
- Open pores that appear darkened
- Black or brown spots that appear after a person shaves their legs
- A dotted or pitted appearance on the legs
If, however, you are experiencing any itching or scabbing along with these symptoms, you may have an underlying skin condition that's masquerading as strawberry legs. In that case, it might be a good idea to seek medical advice to rule out any possible fungal infection and determine the best treatment.
How to minimize strawberry legs
The key is to to reduce inflammation in the pores and remove any excess buildup of bacteria and skin.
You can do this in 5 simple steps:
- Regular exfoliation (2-3 times a week) to unclog your pores to remove any dead skin cells and excess oil. You can do this with a mitt or scrub, and shaving is also a great way to exfoliate!
- Fresh blade. Make sure you’re changing your blade regularly enough. I know we can all eek out our razor blades as long as possible, but this can lead to irritation. If your blade is dull, it will simply tug and pull at your hair, creating more inflammation.
- Don’t dry shave! A big no no, especially with a safety razor.Make sure your skin is nice and damp and your pores are open from the steam of a hot shower/bath.
- Don’t store your razor in the shower! Keeping your razor wet encourages bacteria growth. Make sure you dry your razor after use and store in a cabinet, away from water.
- Moisturize! When our skin is dry, our body tries to overcompensate by producing more oil, which can lead to blocked pores.
This isn’t a magic overnight fix, but if you follow these 5 steps regularly, you should see a visible improvement within weeks.
Have you ever experienced strawberry legs? Let us know in the comments below!