Breonna Taylor didn't receive the justice that she deserved, along with so many others.
This summer we saw the BLM movement blow up and black squares flooded our Instagram.
But what now?
We MUST keep the momentum going. We have to keep learning, unlearning, donating, and VOTE.
As a white, able-bodied cis-gendered, straight woman, I am aware of my privilege. So I am also saying this as a reminder to myself. I am still learning, and trying to show up better each day.
For all my fellow white and non-black folx, here is a list of 10 resources (Netflix docs, books, podcasts) to help continue with our education so that we can be better ancestors for future generations.
This is by NO MEANS an exhaustive list, simply a starting point!
What to Watch
1. 13th, a Netflix documentary exposing racial inequality within the criminal justice system.
2. The Hate U Give, a film based on the YA novel offering an intimate portrait of race in America, available on Amazon Prime and Hulu.
3. Just Mercy, a film based on civil rights lawyer Bryan Stevenson’s work on death row in Alabama, available on Prime.
4. The Racial Wealth Gap Explained, full episode available on Netflix and Youtube.
What to Read
5. Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad - a 28-day challenge to unpack and combat racism.
6. How to be an Anti-Racist by Ibram X. Kendi - this New York Times bestselling book explains why neutrality is not an option.
7. The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander - this New York Times bestseller has served as a catalyst for change in the American justice system.
Who to follow*
8. Rachel Elizabeth Cargle - philanthropic innovator and anti-racism educator.
9. Rachel Ricketts - racial justice educator.
10. Aja Barber - ethical fashion advocate and anti-racism educator.
*Please respect the boundaries and guidelines that these folx have laid out when entering their Instagram space.
And if you have the means to do so, a donation to one of these organizations in Canada or the US will go a long way!
I hope you found that helpful. Let me know in the comments if there is anything you thing should be added to this list.